Disclaimer
I don't think I was very clear at the beginning. I will use this blog to track my progress as I come up to speed in CC. At this writing, I have still done very little in CC, but I want a place to store what I learn to share with others who may find themselves in my shoes (including folks on my project).
My searches on the Internet have only unearthed articles and posts describing how to migrate from CC to HG (a desirable goal, IMHO). However, I never found anyone trying to describe how to approach CC when all you've ever used is CVS, SVN, and HG. I am really only talking about HG, but as I stated earlier, HG and SVN are practically twins when compared to CC.
Therefore, any comments, clarifications, or corrections are most welcome.
VOBs
The VOB (versioned object base) is like the HG repository. But unlike HG, non-privileged users cannot typically touch the VOB. Admittedly, I have really no experience using a VOB (but isn't that telling?) and so I can't say for sure. In my situation at least, a lowly programmer doesn't mess with the VOB.
Views
Views are kind of like HG checkouts. You set up your view to see the versions of the files you want. The glaring difference between CC and HG is that CC focuses on files, not versions. That is, your view can be set up to look at files from a particular version.
Suppose you are looking at version 2 because you're interested in changes made to FileX. Then someone comes along and adds FileY, if you're running a dynamic view, your view will automatically add the FileY to your view.
With HG, you checkout some changeset, and you never change until you take explicit action. With CC, if you're using a dynamic view (the default, and seemingly the preference for those who use and like CC), things can change out from under you all the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment